Let's get nuts II

Saturday July 14, 2012

Part I of Let's Get Nuts is here.

It's 6am and I'm typing this on the train from Chicago to Boston! This train isn't supposed to have wifi but the snack/lounge car seems to have reception so I've setup camp on one of the tables.

Somewhere in Montana, as seen on the Empire Builder train
I'm really starting to regret investing so much in American overnight trains. It is IMPOSSIBLE to sleep properly in economy class. I so despised the idea of trying to get comfortable in my cramped seat that I reluctantly returned from the snack car at 4:30am. By which time the person next to me had annexed my seat to make herself more comfortable and my pillow was on the dirty floor! Arghghgh! After reclining for an hour I gave up trying to get some shut eye and decided to return to this table to watch the sunrise and be productive on the computer.

Fargo, Minnesota, as seen from the Empire Builder train
The Empire Builder, at the Twin Cities.
While I was reclining trying to get to sleep I thought: I've spent $750 to travel around coast to coast in the US. I could have spent that much in airfares and done the same - except I wouldn't be stuck in cramped quarters for days, trying to get some/any sleep. At the time of booking a USA Rail Pass the idea seemed very romantic - see the countryside, save on accommodation costs. But reality has hit hard. Hmmmmm, hindsight at 5am is lucid.

I complained of the discomfort on Chinese trains back in January, so it's only fair now to express my displeasure at American trains for a balanced world view!

No comments:

Post a Comment